Benton County Probate Lawyer
Dealing with the death of a parent, sibling, spouse or close friend is traumatic and a reality that unfortunately we all face at some point in our lives. If his or her estate does not exceed $25,000.00 and consists solely of personal property, a probate proceeding may not be required. However, if the estate does require probate, the executor or administrator, is in charge of managing the estate through the probate process. This is a court supervised process where assets of the decedent are managed and distributed to beneficiaries. An experienced probate attorney can be an important resource for navigating the path of an estate settlement.
When someone you love passes away, it is a difficult and highly emotional time. Yet, often those closest to the deceased are tasked with the responsibility of distributing the loved one’s estate and managing their end-of-life affairs. Our probate services are designed to ease this burden of transferring assets upon a loved one’s death.
When you contact Mossman Law Firm, our experienced probate attorneys can guide you through the probate process. We can help with:
- Initiating a probate case on behalf of the deceased
- Inventory of assets in the estate or trust
- Preparing estate tax returns
- Ensuring legitimacy of creditor claims
- Minimizing loss of estate assets to creditors, taxes, legal fees and other probate costs
- Defending the deceased’s will against challengers
- Representing beneficiaries in challenging a will or probate of an estate
- Interpreting terms of a will or trust and making sure they are carried out correctly
- Finding beneficiaries named in the will or trust, contacting them, and ensuring they receive the appropriate portion of the estate
- Locating and preserving estate assets
- Maintaining accurate records
- Ensuring all required court filings are filed correctly
- Managing communications with beneficiaries, creditors and other parties involved
Mossman Law Firm, located in Vinton, Iowa, serves clients throughout Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Independence, Marengo, Toledo, Shellsburg, Keystone, Van Horne, Atkins, Norway, Walford, Center Point, Urbana, Belle Plaine,
Blairstown, Hiawatha, Robins, Walker, Garrison, Brandon and Amana. Our experienced attorneys also work with clients in Benton County, Tama County, Linn County, Johnson County, Buchanan County, and Iowa County.